What are the Features to Examine to Find the Right Heat Exchanger?
There are different types of heat exchangers and each one differs from the other in the type of thermal transfer it is able to achieve and with respect to many other features. As such, here we will explore features of different heat exchangers and how to select the right heat exchanger as per your needs.
Features of Different Heat Exchangers
Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers
These are the common heat exchangers due to the fact that they are able to manage extreme temperatures, making them appropriate for most heat or thermal transfer applications.
Moreover, it is also very easy to maintain as well as service them.
Plate Fin Heat Exchangers
These are of small size and less bulky, which makes them suitable for tasks where the exchanger needs to fit into a small space. The finned chambers and plates help them in efficiently transferring heat between fluids and in operating at lower temperature differences in comparison to other heat exchangers.
Due to their compact dimensions as well as lightweight, they find their use in industries such as aerospace.
Brazed Plate and Frame Heat Exchangers
These are also compact in nature and comprises of stainless steel plates which are properly brazed together. Due to this type of design, there is no requirement for a frame or some of the other parts and as such, it consumes less space and is also much lighter when compared to other exchangers.
Air Cooled Heat Exchangers
These are thermal transfer devices which can be utilized in conjunction with other cooling systems and find their use when water is costly to treat or is scarce. At the time of choosing these heat exchangers, you will have to check few things such as:
- Heat exchange rate that is required
- How much space there is
- Efficiency of the heat exchanger at temperatures your system will be functioning at
How to Select the Right Heat Exchanger?
Few of the things you will have to check to make the right selection would include:
- Check the kind of thermal transfer applications it can be used for to be sure the heat exchanger will be able to meet your requirements.
- Examine the amount of space you have and whether the heat exchanger you want to purchase would fit into that space. In addition to it, you will have to check if the heat exchanger is to be connected to a hot oil, cooling water or steam source to perform at desired efficiency.
- The proper material for the expected temperature range.
- You need to select one which is energy efficient so that you can keep your energy costs under control.
- Few of the heat exchangers require frequent cleaning and maintenance while others can be cleaned in-between. You will also have to take into consideration cost of cleaning and maintenance services in case you intend to hand over the task to some outside company.
To summarize we will say that it is important to select the right heat exchanger which achieves desired heat and thermal transfer. By following above tips you will certainly be able to find the right one.